- Any eighth grade girl interested in trying out for the Harlan County High School Volleyball Team should report to the HCHS gymnasium at 3 p.m. on Monday, April 9. This will be for signups and open gym. It will be held each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information contact Coach Donna Vicini at 573-5687 between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Congratulations to the Harlan County High School Choir and Director Jeanne Ann Lee for earning four number one ratings, the highest rating possible, in the Kentucky Music Educators District 10 Choral Festival today at Union College in Barbourville. This distinction qualifies the HCHS Choir for the State Choral Festival to be held in Louisville in May. If you haven't heard this group of fabulous musicians, please don't miss their Spring concert scheduled for late April.
- The Harlan County High School Drama Department recently presented Twains Tales
- Cumberland Students Learn to Salsa Dance
- Evarts Elementary School recently dedicated a new playground for the primary students at the school
- Braxton Fields signs to play baseball at Georgetown
- There will be a MANDATORY meeting of all parents and girls interested in being on the Harlan County High School Dance Team for the 2012-2013 school year on THURSDAY APRIL 19TH at 6:00 in the HC cafeteria. This is a required meeting. Expectations, camp dates, financial obligation, etc will be discussed during this time.
- A coupon exchange will be held on Thursday, April 26th from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Harlan County Extension Depot. Bring your extra coupons to swap with others, and share couponing tips. Everyone, is welcome at this free event, including beginners. Couponing is a fun, easy way to save money. This coupon exchange is sponsored by Harlan County Extension and Harlan County Community Education. For more information, contact Cecilia Adams at 573-4330.
- Scholarship opportunites for Harlan County High School students are availabe on the school's Guidance page. All seniors and their parents should visit the following address: http://harlan.k12.ky.us/hchs/guidance.html
- Awards Day for HCHS students will be on May 7th at 8:30. All classroom awards (9-12) will be given during the program. Parents are welcome.
- HCHS graduation is Sunday, May 13th, at 2 p.m., Prom is Saturday, May 12, from 7 p.m. to midnight at the Harlan Center. The theme is an Evening of Elegance
- The HCHS piano students would like to extend a special invitation to our Spring Piano Recital will be tomorrow April 17th at 7 PM in the HCHS auditorium. Refreshments will follow.
- Bond Throws Perfect Game
- The National Honor Society of Harlan County High School recently donated food and paper goods to Christ’s Hands in Harlan who provides services for our local community.
- Wallins students’ project offers Harlan County wildlife stories, photos; public signing Saturday at Jewelcraft in Village Center
- Wallins Elementary Book Signing held at Jewelcraft
- A group of volunteers from Brookdale Baptist Church in Siler City, NC, recently painted the LGR Family Resource Center located on the campus of Rosspoint Elementary School.
- The 5th and 6th grade students at Cumberland Elementary learned how to play two folk songs on an Appalachian dulcimer.
- Green Hills students assist Ronald McDonald House
- The ribbon cutting for the Harlan County High School spring sports facilities will be Thursday, April 19, at 4:30 p.m. in the sports complex. Come out and see this great facility for our Black Bear tennis, softball and baseball teams.
- HCHS Sweeps Bell, Harlan
- Frank Brittain Hall of Fame Nomination Form
- Lady Bear Youth Camp
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Held
- The Harlan County High School Black Bear Football Team will have its Spring Black and White game on Thursday, April 26. The game will begin at 5:30 p.m. at Big Man Davis Stadium located on the campus of James A. Cawood Elementary School.
- County schools hosting day for in-coming kindergarten students
- The events of April 14 and 15, 1912, were recently brought back to life at James A. Cawood Elementary School.
- HCHS Winter Guard earns medals during inaugural season
- The Harlan County High School Band, Choir, Jazz Band and Concert Band Concert will perform their spring concert will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 26, in the high school auditorium.
- Future Harlan County Boys Basketball Black Bear Camp
- HCHS sophomore Taylor Howard selected for Kentucky Center Governor’s School for the Arts
- Finalists have been announced for the Harlan County Community Scholarship and the Harlan County Soil Conservation Scholarships
- James A. Cawood Book Club recently held their end of the year “Reading Celebration”
- HCHS Winners in the Spring on Cloverlick
- Rhonda Robinson's Photography Class from Harlan County High recently took a trip to Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- 2012/13 Harlan County Public Schools
Summer Professional Development Offerings
- Harlan County High School and the Harlan County Public School District would like to congratulate Charlie and George Ann Lovely, Alexa Bowman, Kay Warf and Fran Saydjari on their retirement.
We thank you for all that you have done to not only educate, but lead our children and prepare them for their future. You will be missed!