Inspiration and Motivation
"Committed to work hard, learn more and help those around us achieve their goals."
"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." MLK
Teaching and Learning
"We must encourage and reward our teachers for offering students their best day after day."
Welcome to the Harlan County Public School District web site. We hope that you find it to be resourceful as you explore all that our school system has to offer.
As always, we encourage you to play an active role in the lives and education of our children. Please feel free to contact us with questions and/or comments about our District and how you can make a difference.
- Brent Roark, Superintendent
News & Announcements
The Harlan County Public School District is excited about all of the opportunities available to our students, employees and community as a whole! We hope that you will join us as we celebrate the successes of our Schools, Programs, and District and ask that you become involved in the education of our children. Please visit our News page where you will find a number of publications that will reflect the hard work and dedication of everyone involved.
- Harlan County Public Schools Safe Return to In-Person Instruction & Continuity Plan - Updated Wednesday, November 9th, 2022
- Test-to-Stay Program / Health Services
- American Relief Plan - Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ARP ESSER)
- Harlan County Public Schools Free Breakfast and Lunch Notification Letter, Emergency Broadband Benefit
- School Nurses Available
- Enrollments Forms, etc.
- Students in the Harlan County Public School district can access their IXL accounts using the following custom sign-in page: https://www.ixl.com/signin/harlanco
- The Harlan County Schools Calendar Committee values your input. Please help us construct the 2023-2024 school year calendar options by answering a few short questions. The survey must be completed by Monday, February 6th at 3pm. Paper copies can be obtained at the Harlan County Board of Education located at 251 Ball Park Road, Harlan, KY 40831: 2023-2024 Calendar Survey
Mission & Vision
Our Mission is to empower ALL STUDENTS for the choices and challenges of the 21st Century.
We accept the responsibility of providing a quality education to ensure that each student regardless of gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic or physically challenged status, has the opportunity to develop their abilities to the highest level.
We embrace the goals set forth in the Kentucky Education Reform Act: expecting high achievement from all students; commitment from the community, parents, faculty, staff and administrators placing emphasis on the relating education of real life experiences resulting in smooth transition into adulthood; and providing a risk free, caring, safe environment.
In the Harlan County Public School District we have 9 schools, over 3000 students and a wealth of invaluable employees. We are committed to hiring diverse candidates who bring high quality skills and knowledge. To be successful, we must employ individuals who have a growth mind set and are seeking opportunities to collaborate with colleagues and the community to create an exceptional learning experience for our children.
If you share this vision, we would love to hear from you and have you join the HCPSD family! Please visit our Employment page to learn more.
The Harlan County Board of Education is committed to ensuring that our web content is accessible to everyone, including individuals with disabilities. If you need information in an alternate format, please contact us.
Additional information regarding assistive technology and mobile devices can be found on our accessibility page.
Safety Tipline, Online Prevention
The Safety Tipline, Online Prevention or S.T.O.P Tipline is designed for use as an "online" reporting/prevention tool. If students, parents or community members know of an unsafe situation in school (bullying, weapons, drugs or alcohol, etc.), they can anonymously pass on that information to school personnel by clicking either the link above or logo to the right.
"Success is where preparation and opportunity meet." Bobby Unser
Clubs and Organizations
Recognition of Excellence
Staff Awards and Honors
Harlan County Public Schools
"Committed to Excellence in Education"